BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Dierickx <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:11:13 EST
In a message dated 2/24/99 10:40:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Well, I personally go into a deep depression every
 time I go to a place and find the hordes gathering, because it reminds me
that
 the fundamental reason for the hordes is population, not popularity. I hate
 get us off the heritage track but there are a hell of a lot more folks
 stomping into Charleston simply because there are a lot more folks. How many
 years is it now that the human population doubles? Should we be thinking of
 more fundamental ways for long-term salvation of  these fragile locations?

So, this is the Malthusian theory of cultural tourism.  Malthus believed the
population would tend to increase faster than the supplies needed to maintain
it unless moral restraint was used to keep the population down.  So, maybe
preservationists should call for the public to exercise moral restraint in
visiting the most popular cultural tourist destinations - say limiting family
trips to Savannah to 2 days every 5 years - touristus interruptus.

Mary Dierickx, NYC