BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:43:31 -0500
Ken:

Regarding the man in need of legal help I knew one of the members of the family a little because one of their boys was in my Boy Scout troop and my folks thought very highly of them.  There was the one son about your age (graduated high school in 70 or 71), a daughter that was my in my high school class (72), another son (who like most of my friends from the Scout troop were high school class of 74), and I think one other younger son maybe two or more years younger.

The mom worked at the library and the father was a postman for a while.  By all appearances a working class family making a very modest go of it (they lived on North Geneva Street just north of Court Street).  My family said of the dad that he had strong opinions and didn't back down when it might've been prudent to do so.  I was told he worked for the railroad as a "gandy dancer" (trackworker) and, in spite of the fact that he wasn't a big man, would get into scraps over his opinions.

The incident you mention involving the Nixon threat letter never quite made sense to me.  I  seem to recall the dad was upset with the reliability of the M-16 rifle that was being used in Viet Nam (I think it jammed frequenty, making the GI defenseless).  The word "inhumanity" applied to the gun sticks in my mind for some reason and that doesn't jive with issue being the reliability of the gun so maybe the issue was the types of rounds being used (hollow points or some such thing).  I think reference was made in the note to 'knowing a group of marksmen' and not knowing 'how the president would be safe' if the problem with the gun wasn't fixed.  It might've been a case of a former GI trying to correct a situation that he felt strongly about and using the wrong language to push the idea forward.

At any rate the dad had a small collection of hunting guns as I recall and he either surrendered them to the police (perhaps when he was arrested), gave them up, or sold them.  This upset the son that I knew as he was hoping to get to use them for hunting when he got old enough (I think he was about 14 at the time).

I would consult my historical resource on all things Ithacan but they've run off to the Big Apple for the weekend.  Maybe ctb knows some more details?

Bruce