BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:48:33 EST
Sartre's leaftime, from his autobiography.

"… my grandfather -- who was usually so clumsy that my grandmother buttoned
his gloves for him -- handled those cultural objects with the dexterity of an
officiant. Hundreds of times I saw him get up from his chair with an
absent-minded look, walk around his table, cross the room in two strides,
take down a volume without hesitating, without giving himself time to choose,
leaf through it with a combined movement of his thumb and forefinger as he
walked back to his chair, then, as soon as he was seated, open it sharply "to
the right page," making it creak like a shoe. At times, I would draw near to
observe those boxes which slit open like oysters, and I would see the nudity
of their inner organs, pale, fusty leaves, slightly bloated covered with
black veinlets, which drank ink and smelled of mushrooms." Jean-Paul Sartre,
_The Words_

Shaman