BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Blythe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "where heavy conservationists hang out"
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:23:01 -0400
OK, folks.  I've been out of circulation for a while, getting a major
project at work finished (spent 100 hours straight in the office, sleeping
in the staff lounge - when I could sleep!).  Anyway, whilst that was
happening, we also bought a cobblestone house, circa 1840.  Interesting
history with it, but not on the National or local historic registry.  My
question to all you stone masons out there is this:  we need some point
work done (one fairly large crack, but still structurally sound, as well as
many radial cracks around the windows).  There are also some old amateur
patches that should be corrected, for asthetic purposes - the mortar wasn't
matched, or wasn't used (one patch looks like tar).  Other than asking if
they can match the mortar and to see other cobblestone work they have done,
what sort of questions should we ask potential contractors to make sure a
good job is done?  BTW, this is something I figure will be an ongoing
yearly maintenance.

I've attached a photo to give y'all a better idea of what's what (yes,
that's me, one of the proud house owners).  Thanks!

- Pam
(See attached file: house3.jpg)