BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Trelstad, Derek" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:07:53 -0500
was it ever painted? there was a tale circulating for a while that pt wood
did not need to be painted; i believe -- and someone pls. correct me if i am
wrong -- that the the salts used chromated copper arsenate, etc. are water
soluble and will leach out of the wood with regular exposure (i.e., on a
deck) without the benefit of a coat or two of paint for protection.

i don't have the technical data at hand, but i have always operated under
the assumption that the treatment is pesticide and fungicide. or, if not a
pesticide, at least a real deterrent. rarely do i rely on the treatment
itself to protect the wood; always detail to keep dry and bug-free with
paint, flashing, and an ant-eater or two.

sign me,

s. lacrymans