BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anne Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 07:46:48 EST
I've just put a wood window restoration spec out to bid, and have gotten a

comment back from one of the bidders which makes complete sense, but which I

cannot solve alone (a pretty big concession from an architect).

I've spec'd epoxy repair of wood windows, as well as application of an

all-over water repellent fungicide with particular emphasis on saturation at

the end grain.  The contractor very astutely commented that if we use the

oil-based water repellent, the epoxy repairs will surely fail.  Makes sense

to me.  He recommends a borate treatment such as Bora-care.  My gut reaction

is that borates are overkill for a wood window restoration project -- we're

not dealing with termites or carpenter ants here -- just the possibility of

future deferred maintenance.  I just want to prevent the wood from excessive

rotting.  The Forest Products Laboratory strongly recommends water repellent

fungicides prior to paint application.

What to do??

Anne in Chicago, who's about ready to ingest borates if I don't figure this
out.

</XMP>