BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "It's a bit disgusting, but a great experience...." -- Squirrel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:38:40 EDT
In a message dated 10/10/2000 11:05:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< -keep your sandpaper curl-free until use - I can't find any box or other
 device
 --keep you chisels in a tool box but free from damage

All right, Mr. Irrelevant

The sandpaper curls because, like me, you think you're going to save money by
buying more than you need, you keep it in a moist-ish environment where it
absorbs moisture unevenly onto the un-coated side, and you don't use it until
it's curled into God-knows-what.

As to your chisels, which I also fail to maintain adequately, they should be
kept on a magnetic knife strip on the wall or some such place where their
delicate edges won't bang into all the  shit in your tool box.  Ya gotta keep
'em sharpened and polished/oiled/vaselined.  Mr late friend Fred the
Carpenter used to talk about how he coated all his (carpenter) tools with
vaseline or gun grease, or some such before he went off to WWII from England,
and when he came back, his tools were good as new.

For my part, I went out and bought a big tub of vaseline.  Never used it.  So
my tools (and I hope not too many of Fred's) are rusty.  Let this be a lesson
to you, sonny.

Sadder Buttenwiesener (one of my great-grandmothers was from Buttenwiesen)