BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ian Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 19:15:56 +1000
Debra Miller wrote:

>Has anyone successfully pursued a house not maintained within a
>historic (zoning) district?
>We have a house with rotted fascia boards, falling off shutters, and a
>rotting front porch (Federal-style, with posts on top, now sitting at crazy
>angles...
>I want to be sure that this falls within the generally accepted definition of
>'demolition by neglect' before pursing legal action.

appropriate regulations and ordinances in their areas. I think I would be
just as upset as Debra obviously is at the example she has quoted
but.....I'd just like to throw in the observation that there's a very fine
line indeed between decay and the patina of age which really makes an old
building what it is.
Sure, keep the rain out and the rot under control and make sure the
building is going to stay standing. But there is a beauty in the ageing
process with all that goes with it: the softness of aged paint colours, the
grey of weathered wood, flaking paint and rusting metal. There's truth in
dust and rust and cobwebs.
I've seen old houses with all of the above and they can be achingly
beautiful. What happens so often is that the elderly owner dies, someone
buys the place and 'restores' it and it's so shiny-bright new that it's
lost the magic.
It seems to me that this topic has touched upon conservation's great dilemma.

--
Ian Evans
The World of Old Houses | http://www.oldhouses.com.au/