BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Trelstad, Derek" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:08:09 -0500
With a wind load square to the beam inbound and outbound you either (a) have
a very small beam (balanced loads will cancel each other); (b) were worried
about stress-reversals (particularly if you overlooked the need for a unity
check); or (c) you didn't go anywhere -- as we all know a body at rest (or
in motion) tends to stay at rest (or in motion) unless acted upon by an
unbalanced force. Which, in layterms (for Ralph and Ken) means: MASS of Mr.
Gray was placed opposite mass of Mrs. Gray and the Graylettes to keep the
boat from turtling while at rest. MASS of Mr. Gray was to windward to keep
the boat upright undersail. Mrs. Gray and the Graylettes got wet. Which
explains the second item on the list: stress reversals. Mrs. Gray and the
Graylettes thought the boat ride just before the Naushon left for Woodshole
was a great idear (spelled like a good New Englander); Mr. Gray was not so
excited. When the boat heeled, Mr. Gray stayed high and dry. Mrs. Gray and
the Graylettes did not. It being the end of the season, they were not only
wet, but cold. They no longer felt the boat ride was a good idea. Mr. Gray
proceeded to the otherside of the pond nonetheless, surpressing his smile
all the way. Q.E.D. And, as Mr. Newton so aptly remarked, the Gray family
ultimately never moved -- despite the wind, the water, and the whining.

The moral of the story: never tell stories on BP if you ever want to be
taken seriously again?

Sign me,

Mr. Meta-Science