BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
creighton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:57:54 -0400
Fiddling with Newel Post while the Rose burns. On March 12 the Rose Inn in
Lansing NY burned. One of it's main features was the stair. I always
harbored the hope that Kens grandpa Rose had built this beautiful circular
stair. From Jack Jensen of  The Ithaca Journal "The legend is well known
around here. The rose Inn began it's life as an early Italianate home,
designed for Abram Osmun, with a beautiful spiral staircase as it's
epicenter. But no local builder would tackle the stairs. So the Osmuns,
despite there wealth,continued to use the back stairs, until one day in
1922, when William Houser stepped into history carrying a bindle and a
toolbox on his back.
    He agreed to build the staircase in exchange for room and board at the
magnificent home. It took him two years . Then he simply stepped back out of
history."
This stair was a rock, a snake, DNA.     Mah Tov
"As a builder you try your whole life to create just one perfect thing.
Nothing ever comes out just right- our lives, our projects, our
relationships' our kids or our legacies. Always some misstep some
regret"again Jensen.
    Dirt , to wood to ashes
    My friend and mentor Tyke Kohm died April 10  I'm sure some of you knew
him.
    "Tike Kohm passed away the other day. He never owned a boat. He didn't
kill anyone. He kept a clean hearth. You all know the rest. ------ He taught
his son how to love baseball, he taught his daughter how to love life and
self. No charitable contributions; do something nice for yourself. Peace and
Amen "
    by Tike awhile before he died.
    Tike was a wonderful carpenter in the real sense of wonderful. Sometimes
you just wondered what he was doing, like the 12x12- 2 story addition to his
airstream trailer. In my house are 2 14' stainglass windows Tike presented
us with on our wedding day.
    As for that stairway- go ahead take it apart. Just figure out the order
of assembly and reverse. Label everything, document everything, if you get
in trouble call Bill Houser or Tike Kohm.
 PS my daughter 11 says Carpe Diem = sees the day
see you later ctb