BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:22:18 -0500
B-P is moving this Wednesday, January 25!

TAKE NOTE OF THE NEW ADDRESS: THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. BOOKMARK IT
NOW!!!!!

The new address to send email to B-P after the switch on Wednesday will
be:

OK, this is sure to be a confusing nightmare, but we'll all live it
together, and it will become part of our community bonding...for those
members of the B-P community that make it across the divide, that is.

Some of you may have noticed the email that said St. Johns.EDU was
getting out of the listserv business, and the plug would be pulled on
Bullamanka-Pinheads. Some of you even reacted in horror, fear, and
concern. Ken, Christopher, and I have been working to make sure we carry
on. The B-P list is being migrated to a new domain. Everything should
look pretty much the same at your end, if everything goes smoothly. If
it doesn't, well, then the screen will go blank for you.

The migration will happen this Wednesday, January 25. The list will go
dark for about 4 hours while the migration is underway. No emails will
be lost. Once the migration is complete, the emails held during the
transfer will be released.

For the few days following (until February 1, when SJU pulls the plug on
their server), there will be automatic forwarding to the new email
server of emails sent to the old email address.

TAKE NOTE OF THE NEW ADDRESS: THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. BOOKMARK IT
NOW!!!!!

The new address to send email to B-P after the switch will be:

Hopefully everything will go seamlessly, and nothing will change, and
life will go on for all of us just as we have known it. Keep your
fingers crossed. Once they have notified me that the switch is complete,
I'll send an email to the list announcing the changeover.

If you don't see yourself getting emails from B-P after Wednesday, email
me and I'll look into it.

For those of you that want to know more, see detailed explanation below.

Dan

formed a non-profit that could perpetuate the service. ICORS
(Information Center for Online Resources and Services, Inc.)
<http://www.icors.net> was formed. They were able to get the listserv
software that SJU used to run the lists (an up-to-date version, SJU's
was old) donated by the L-soft company, as well as donated space on
L-soft's servers to host the lists.

Those of us that have served as the Listowners on your behalf huddled,
and decided to migrate with the other lists since it would preserve our
archives and the action of the list that you don't see behind the
curtain would be familiar to us. We (ahem, Christopher) paid the very
reasonable membership fee and we signed B-P up to be included in the
migration.

This is actually the second migration. We were slothful and missed the
first one. The good news is I have been able to monitor the earlier
migration.

Now, the bad news. My concern for you, brethren, is founded in my
monitoring of the ICORS listowners list. To wit:

Many ISPs subscribe to SPAM control services. Email domains that appear
to send spam are "blacklisted" by these services, and subscribers (your
ISP) to the spam control service will have email from the blacklisted
domains blocked. Because of the pernicious influence of worms and
viruses that duplicate address books and then "spoof" email addresses as
the source of a spam email, legitimate domains can end up on these
blacklists. It appears that this has happened to some degree to the
L-soft listserv servers. Thus, you may not receive email from B-P if
your ISP has blacklisted the L-soft servers.

After the transfer, I expect there will be some of you who will not
receive B-P email because of these blacklists. It has happened in the
past with the SJU servers. If you stop getting mail from B-P, notify me.
I will contact your ISP and try to get the L-soft servers "whitelisted"
on your ISP's spam control service database so your B-P mail will come
through. In some cases, if your ISP doesn't want to play nice, you may
have to get another ISP in order to receive your B-P mail. Sorry,
there's nothing I can do about that.

Good night, and good luck.

Dan

“E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina  Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized City or Law Enforcement official.”