BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:52:29 -0700
Hi Gang (especially the NY bunch),  In going through the bookcases here I
found a lovely old volume, no Ralph, it's not all screwdrivers and pliers.
This book, printed in 1868 is entitled, "Sunshine and Shadow in New York,"
by Matthew Hale Smith.  It is 712 pages, 92 short chapters with 12
pictures.  I don't expect I shall have time to read it any time soon but it
looks to be a rather fascinating look at life in the city at that time.  On
a quick glance through I noticed one of the subheadings was "Two
macadamized roads."  Must have been something of a novelty at the time.
One of the pictures is of "Old City Hall," is it still standing?  Another
is "Inside Trinity Church."  Didn't someone on here mention that church
awhile ago?  There is a whole chapter on Rev Beecher, father of Harriet
Beecher Stowe.  In return for all the entertainment I have received on this
list if anyone would like to know more about this book please ask and I'll
see what I can find in it.  Ruth
--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT