BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
adaptive re-use is from the department of repetitive redundancy division <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 13:29:04 -0800
Oh, forgot to mention that the solar/earth sheltered house's central core
wall that separated the cozy family room from the spacious sunken living
room and raised dining/kitchen areas, was 3' thick x 18' long, and stopped
4" short of the ceiling, filled with cobblestone sized rocks to allow air
flow for the fan system that moved air up or down depending on the season.
Warm ceiling air recycled down to under the floor in winter and cool crawl
space air was pumped up in summer.   The family room had a Rumford
Fireplace, but the primary heat source was the living room's nice BC-built
high efficiency (used to be called Northern Heatliner but is now Northern
Fireplace) wood burner with outside air intake.   A large greenhouse-sun
room fronted the living room, separated with thermal glass units and
controllable transom and baseboard windows the entire length.   Living room
had tile floor (accessible to winter sun) on concrete slab with foam
insulation under the slab.

Due to a variety of solar and insulation design details, the darn place was
comfortable in summer too, just as much of a problem as winter in this
desert environment with normal summer temps in the 90s and low 100s.   Their
air conditioning budget was as much a bargain as the winter heating cost.

This elegant little house was/is the manager's home at Covert Farms in
Oliver, BC (great landscape pictures at their web site www.covertfarms.ca ).
It was designed to be built by farm labourers during the winter months.
Covert Farms is a big market garden farm and orchard, and one of their
challenges is to get the good seasonal workers to return the next summer.
This building project was created to keep the good guys at the farm over
winter, so the construction details had to be capable for anyone who could
hold a hammer and follow basic instructions.   Definitely non-union!   Made
each day an interesting one, but it was in a time of architectural recession
here, and I was happy to have a job!

For the NY upstaters, you might know of Covert Farm at Covert, NY.  That
is/was their grandpa's place.

cp in bc