BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "That's gneiss but I think you're full of schist!"
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 02:55:48 EDT
For
:    Ben Epperly Subject: Gommage
You wrote
Facade Gommage is nothing more than sand blasting with micro-spheres of glass
in an enclosed environment...sort of a soft sand blast

 a little bit of knowledge is a .....      I guess the above would be true if
there was silica in it ...but there isn't.....the micro spheres are rounded
and work at impact......where sandblasting cuts the surface.
.tested independently...by labs for nat parks the amount of surface loss
to stone after cleaning was microscopic....and that was after a test of a
couple sq.hundred feet  .............at 50/100 m/c size...gommage is
excellent as a dry system perfect for stone mullions next to stain glass
.it t also uses cellouse to clean murals..i. e the english word errasure
 translates to mean  gommage......the beauty of the system is that you can
control the level of cleaning and leave as much of a patina as you want...it
was used on the Lourve and is now on the Nebraska state capital. and is used
on very fragil pieces where surface loss is critical....signed  more than you
proably wanted to know / and they can send me a cheque in the morning...Best