BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:27:16 EST
In a message dated 12/18/99 2:28:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  How would this building have been cleaned 30 years ago?

It probably would not have been cleaned. Possibly it would have been
sandblasted or some harsh formulation of chemicals applied as a wonder
product. The owners would not have known either who to contact as a
preservationist: either as a design professional or as craftspeople... so the
waterproofer who ventured into doing "restoration" work would have been
called, if at all. Prior to Local Law 10 there were not so many contractors
claiming themselves in the restoration business. After Black Monday a lot of
them were again gone out of business. I believe that the waterproofers, at
least in NYC, were the lead craftspeople in facade cleaning as their
customers were asking them to clean buildings prior to application of
waterproof coatings. I suggest you interview some old guy at Nicholson &
Galloway, Brisk, or A. Best for a perspective on my idle conjecture.

>  How have cleaning technology and attitudes changed over a generation?

There is less of an emphasis in our culture on the wonders of chemistry and
technological progress -- then there are us Boomers raised reading the Whole
Earth catalog -- water is NATURAL. As it is with Doctors and pill
manufacturers not recommending nettles, research of facade cleaning has
followed the money. Buildings have been cleaning themselves with water for a
long, long time. A wider acceptance of Taoism in Western culture may allow us
more facility to move with nature. There are more craftspeople and design
professionals aware of a more varied toolbox of cleaning methodologies.
Partly a result of the MS preservation programs. Partly as a natural result
of the entrepreneurial craftsperson looking to do it a different, better way.
Humans are always operating in a world where they don't know very much about
what they are doing... as a group the preservation industry has recognizable
character... such that more of us feel a kinship, a special interest, and
share information better. Thirty years ago if you wanted to clean a building
there were fewer choices and greater ignorance.

][<en