BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
This conversation may be monitored for quality control.
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:20:52 -0400
CP,
It sure sounds like it would be fun to be on one of your projects. "Art of
intuition", "a knack", as the Huron scouts joke, "He is lost because he
didn't listen to the trees."  One of the greatest losses in the trades is
that so few are properly apprenticed.  Ten years of no talking and just
working, 2500 hours a year, watching and imitating a craftsman is not
replaced with a few hours in a classroom, a seminar or a one week "training"
session. I feel guilty when anyone calls me a master carpenter because I can
make a good joint or have sharp,old tools.  In reality, I haven't done a
full weeks carpentry for almost ten years and my apprenticeship amounts to a
mere three years with a traditional carpenter and two years with a stair
builder.  I wish I had been documenting all the wonderful notes and drawings
I have seen while pulling apart old buildings.  What a great book it would
be.
Best,
Leland

Leland R. S. Torrence
Leland Torrence Enterprises and the Guild
17 Vernon Court, Woodbridge, CT  06525
Office:  203-397-8505
Fax:  203-389-7516
Pager:  860-340-2174