BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:27:11 -0700
Hi Gang,  Saw this on a list I'm on.  I didn't know there was a farm in
NYC.  Or an arsenal either for that matter.  I'm almost tempted to make the
trip just to see that farm.  Ruth

History Through Houses - In New York City

  History is everywhere, just waiting to be discovered.  Step
through the doors of the Historic House Trust's twenty houses
and discover New York's history for yourself.  From modest
farmers' cottages to grand mansions, every house tells a
story of how this great city grew.  And with houses located
in all five boroughs, travelling through time is as easy as
looking around the corner.
  Most of the houses were built in the 18th and 19th
centuries and include the Poe Cottage, the last home of the
great American poet and mystery author Edgar Allen Poe; the
Morris-Jumel Mansion which was George Washington's head-
quarters in 1776; the Queens County Farm Museum, a working
farm offering educational tours and workshops; and the Alice
Austen House Museum which displays the work of Ms. Austen, a
pioneer social documentary photographer of turn-of-the-century
New York life.
  For more information, contact the Historic House Trust of
New York City, The Arsenal, Room 203, Central park, NYC, NY
10021; (212) 360-8282; http://www.preserve.org/hht/info.htm
--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT