BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 13:47:13 -0500
Met History wrote:

> Traditional architects should design mobile homes--the most important
> housing type in America, currently in disgrace exclusively because it is
> in the hands of subnormal designers. It would indeed be great if  Period
> Homes would sponsor it.
>
> Andres Duany
> DUANY PLATER-ZYBERK & CO.

I'm not certain mobile homes are the most important housing type in
America... depends I suppose on the qualifications of "important."
For those living in hurricane areas the upgrade to hurricane proof
mobile homes courtesy of FEMA is a plus, and is important to them. Can't
get enough of them produced fast enough.
I don't suppose, though, that Andres imagines anyone intelligent at all
is currently designing mobile homes. They must just pop out of factories
staffed by apes -- like spontaneous huts .
And why does he think that the design of luxery RV's is subnormal? Some
of them are pretty damned grand!
Environmentalists may justifiably say that bat houses are the most
important housing type in America, that is, if bats are considered
important.
And who is to say that, form following function, respected architects
have not assisted in the design of sea containers -- an ultimate in
mobile home?
Bucky Fuller designed a mobile home... and the only people who actually
lived in it put on a very large addition of masonry.
Possibly one reason architects should not consider designing mobile
homes is that the chances of anyone paying the extra cost for an
architect designed mobile home are a bit slim.
Andres should present a grand design pro bono and see where it goes and
stop asking for other people than himself to sponsor it.
He should live in it a few years just to tweek the fit.
I've always considered the "disgrace" factor with mobile homes had less
to do with their design than with their connotations of poor economic class.

Traditional architects should design hoola hoops, the most important toy
type in America. Children not otherwise exposed to elegant design would
be given a vision of the glorious future that is open to them in the
architectural professions. It would indeed be great if Mattel would
sponsor it.

][<