BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:32:07 -0500
Preservation at a basic level...

Five or so years ago we worked with the State of NJ to stabilize the
19 century Barrett farm in Wawayanda State Park.  It's a remarkable
example of Luther B's living the 19th century lifestyle a hundred
years later.  (His cow walked a treadmill trying to get into the
barn, thereby driving a belt which allowed Luther to saw
lumber...we've got pictures!)   We repaired and lifted the cow and
horse barns, rebuilt the foundations with mortar rather than the mud
we found, reroofed the farmhouse in tinned steel, retrofitted
perforated shields to allow windows to ventilate, repaired and
reroofed one chicken coop with custom cut roll roofing to replicate
the diaper "zig-zag" pattern of the original, and in the case of a
larger coop, just put a tall fence around the sagging remains so the
pieces wouldn't "walk off".  It was all documented pretty well, so
that when program and money comes the basis of restoration is there.

--The Rural Reverend