BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yes, we set off an A-bomb but we are really sorry about it.
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:14:03 -0500
I have seen good glazed brick from the 1920's, 60's and today. I have seen
failed contemporary glazed brick but not many failed from the past - fewer
of those buildings survive. Ralph's numbers are right. When we got started
working on the Chrysler building the new owners said they had 10,000's of
bricks in the basement from the last repairs (10-20 or so years past) and
asked if we could use them - they even had test reports! Clear as day, the
bricks were destined to spall from freeze-thaw. Rejected the bricks. Got new
ones from Glen Gery. Those tested exceptionally well. Most contemporary
bricks are much stronger than the old - nearly 20,000 psi compression.
Anyway, when we started the investigation/repairs we discovered that the
original 1920's brick and mortar was is in good condition (some mortar
errosion obviously) but the repair areas poor condition. Many spalled bricks
and the repair mortars to hard and dense caused more bricks to fail!
Another thought, first stated to me by Don Friedman, it may not be the
"brick's" fault in the 1960's but the "new" technology of the curtain wall
that designers and builders did not account for the increased stresses put
on the brick from the older composite wall. I fully agree with that too!
Eric