BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 08:21:00 EDT
In a message dated 8/17/99 4:56:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Ken Cobb, NYC archivist, says he has been presented with numerous citations
>  for individuals employed as "wood inspector" in NYC 1820-1850.

My guess: wood can be switched in type, requiring someone to make sure poplar
is not used where oak is specified. Wood can also be of a lesser quality than
specified or plagued with various imperfections such as knots or worms. From
1820-1850 I imagine you will find that the use of wood for structural reasons
ie. bridge trusses is prevalent, making inspection not an aesthetic issue,
but one of safety in construction. Contemporary comparison would be
specialized inspectors of structural steel, particularly on-site inspection
of welds. Wood continues to be inspected and graded, though with an emphasis
on the manufacturing end of the cycle and not at the receiving end on a
project. There are associations dedicated to grading and inspection of wood
products, of which these early wood inspectors were likely the predecessors.
Wood in urban construction is not as important as it used to be. Rumor is
that 95% of "carpenters" in NYC do not know what wood is -- they do know
steel stud, sheetrock and EIFS.

][<en