BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 15:25:31 EDT
Keimfarben Mineral Coatings

Despite Michael's French nymphs and Leland encountering the bird song of
Bavaria the three of us BP preservationeers spent a week (April 19-24) in
Augsburg, Germany as guests of Keimfarben getting hands-on and lecture
training in use of Keim products, both for coating of masonry and patching of
natural stone. We also got the skinny on Keim's plans to expand their US
market. All this, including rooms, sumptuous meals and plenty of beer,
deserve a kind thanks to their US agent Maime Cohalan. Also attending, BP
lurker M___ J___ and new BP conscript Don Swanson of Old World Stone.

Depending on your viewpoint Keim mineral coatings have durability in the
85-2000 year range. I think I heard that right. This causes a problem for
Keimfarben in that once a masonry building is coated there is little reason
to re-coat it in anyone's lifetime. They showed us a few palaces in Munich as
examples. In Nigeria the government decided to build a new capital and picked
a spot in the jungle to do it - the place being coated with Keim products.
Our meager example is John Jay College of Criminal Science in NYC where
several years ago we applied Keim Granital to precast concrete panels. Still
looks good at 40 mph down the West Side Highway. We also met the Singapore
rep that handles supply and application in New Zealand and Australia.

Keim claims 2,500 products and that they are in the business of solving
problems. Not sure how many problems I've encountered in my life, but I'm
certainly open to discussing application of Keim products.

http://www.keimmineralsystems.com/

][<en Follett