BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 09:20:04 -0500
Ruth,
It is not what you would call farming;  farming is hard work.  No cows
since the 1960's.  We have 18 acres under plow and supplement the farm
stand that is run by our neighbor and has been a stand for about 50
years.  The farm was 380 acres at its biggest some 150 years ago.  The
farm was started in 1786 and has been in the Clarke/Sorenson/Hubbell
family until six years ago when a fellow of means bought 44 acres.
Carroll Hubbell and Bob Sorenson (along with their spouses) still live
in the main farm house.  Carroll runs the stand and Bob fixes all the
1950's tractors and equipment.  Chris, his nephew does most of the
farming, I spend about eight to 24 hours a week helping out (there are
two to ten Mexicans at any time). We plant a lot by hand.  Before
sunset, upon occasion, you can spot men women and children, eight to ten
white people planting!:  snap dragons, sunflowers, brussel sprouts,
peas, lettuce, corn, pumpkins, gourds, you get the idea.  We had two
acres of sun flowers right outside my office window this summer.  Mike,
Ken and John have all been to visit, but call ahead, my wife is a great
cook, but not to keen on neighbors or surprise visitors.  If you are
ever through New Haven, give a call.  By the way, I wonder how long it
would take to get from Vermont to New Haven on route 5 now?
Best,
Leland