BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 10:00:29 -0500
If I'm not mistaken Glacier Glass is where you have two panes of straight
glass and between them is another pane of glass that is broken into little
bits which are all held more or less in place. I have seen an example of
this here in Portland, Maine, in a house built about 1885. The example here
is in wood sash, clear glass with no color in all three panes, and does look
about like the large ice crystals you see in the glaciers. We have
speculated on how to reproduce the effect, but have not tried it. We suspect
the glass is fragmented with heat, probably by placing a large flat sheet of
hot metal just a fraction of an inch above the sheet of glass. After it
shatters the third pane of glass is laid on top and glazed into the sash
holding the fragments in place.

John Leeke, Preservation Consultant

publisher:               Practical Restoration Reports
contributing editor: Old-House Journal
postal:                    26 Higgins St., Portland, Maine  04103, USA
phone & fax:           01 207 773-2306
email:                      [log in to unmask]
website:                  www.HistoricHomeWorks.com