BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deb Bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:14:55 -0500
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Ralph Walter wrote:

>  McDonald's (whose fries are the best)

Ralph, you obviously haven't had Burger King fries lately!
they are number one in the world   ;)    or so someone said
new and improved! crispier! tastier!
and they have the best commercials with 60's music!

> Wendy's and their squareburgers are beneath contempt.

they started in Columbus, Ohio, and a lot of ppl around here won't
eat them  ;)
it's a long story but it has to do with the governor of the state and
his part ownership and Wendy's getting some kind of state start up
money
or something....
it was a long time ago and the reasons are lost in obscurity now
might even qualify as urban legend
but there are still a bunch of ppl that don't eat Wendy's in Ohio  ;)

I remember eating at one of the first McDonald's, in St.Johns, Michigan...
I bet no one preserved that place -- big neon arches, walk-up window
and concrete picnic tables... if it rained, you ate in your car...
my mom took us there on a trip because it was cheap.....
my dad refused to walk to the window, so when he was driving
and we weren't presentable, we ate at BigBoy where you ordered on
the little radio and the carhops brought it out   ;)

and he used to take us to Lester's Diner in Celina, OH, which featured
these HUGE (like 12 oz) china coffee cups....seafoam porcelain panels...
they had a big giant coffee cup sign over the thing and it said
WORLD"S BIGGEST CUP OF COFFEE or some such
that's the only diner I've ever seen and I don't know if it's still
there either....

one of the big restoration/renovation/preservation projects in
Cincinnati, the Main St. District, is centered around a stainless
steel diner, The Sycamore,  but I don't know if it's for real or a
reconstruction or what --
I've never seen it myself, but others have raved about it ;)

Deb