BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ian Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Ants of Unregenerate Luddism"
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:32:11 +1000
Ken wrote:

>Red Paint on Brick
>
>Commonly found thin coating of red coating on exterior red brick. I need for
>a report to a customer a short explanation as to why it would be an HC
>(historic correct) preference to not strip the paint.

Here's a small extract from a book entitled Colour Schemes for Old
Australian Houses by yours truly and the Sydney conservation
architects Clive Lucas and Ian Stapleton:

"Exterior wall surfaces were sometimes coloured with a
semi-transparent red oxide wash ..."

The reference was describing exterior surface treatments for brick
houses in the period 1820-1840. Similar treatments are also found in
the period around 1900-1920 and are associated at that time with the
practice of tuckpointing.

-- --
Ian Evans
The World of Old Houses: http://www.oldhouses.com.au
Publisher: The Flannel Flower Press Pty Ltd
PO Box 591, Mullumbimby, New South Wales, Australia 2482
Phone/fax: +612 6684 7677 Email: [log in to unmask]