BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Go preserve a yurt, why don'tcha.
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 12:49:52 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Arlene Simon
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 12:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [forum-l] Advertisements on Parking Meters

More of our public space up for sale?

The Giuliani administration plans to solicit bids for advertising on parking
meters in New York City. On November 27, 2000, the New York City Department
of Transportation issued a "Request for Proposal for the Placement of
Advertising on Parking Meter Poles."

The Crain's Insider reported on November 30, 2000, "At the same time that
the Planning Department is proposing new restrictions on billboard ads in
manufacturing areas, the city Department of Transportation plans to ask
advertisers to submit proposals that could eventually result in as many as
500 meters adorned with ads. The signs would be affixed to the pole below
the meter and could be either cylindrical or flat-sided...Officials say they
have no estimate on how much the ads could raise [for the city], though the
program could go citywide if it is considered successful."

This, on top of self-aggrandizing corporate logo-ed banners hanging from
lampposts on Central Park West and other thoroughfares; telephone kiosks
which are little more than commercial signposts sprouting all over town,
marring our sidewalks (filled with citizens talking into their cell phones);
public buses which serve as mobile billboards. Signage and billboards on
private property raise different issues; but this is over public space being
invaded – and sold.

Can't we mobilize to say once and for all – in this hyper-commercialized
town of ours – enough is enough! The City has had 6 straight years of
multi-billion dollar budget surpluses – surely, the proceeds from this
exercise are not essential to our fiscal soundness.

Has anyone seen advertisements on parking meters in other cities?

If you are in New York, please voice your opposition to Mayor Rudolph W.
Giuliani, City Hall, New York, NY 10007, 212-788- 3000, and to your Council
Member. Pass this information along to as many people as you can so that we
can rally opposition to this threat to our streetscape. If you have any
questions, please email to [log in to unmask] or call Landmark
West!, 212-496-8110. We will be happy to fax you the entire Crain's article
as well as the aforementioned DOT RFP.
---
You are currently subscribed to forum-l as: [log in to unmask]