BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"William B. Rose" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:46:37 -0600
Mike

>The vinegar/acid rain equation puzzles me. Is there a test method I've
>missed? (entirely possible, given the rate at which these things sometimes
>develop).
>
>Vinegar, acetic acid, is an organic acid that I would not normally expect
>to be a component of acid rain. Acid rain is generally mostly sulfuric acid
>and results from the burning of fuels containing sulfur.

You're right, seeing if you can make a calcium carbonate fizz with Rwrap
and acetic acid may have little to do with its ability to withstand actual
service conditions. I get a kick out of doing non-standard things to
building materials, but I wouldn't advise consumers or builders based on
10-minute desktop experiments.