BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Magma Charta Erupts Weakly"
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:21:22 +0100
Ilene

I too had a one day stopover in Frankfurt, several years ago now.  I have several folders of slides of buildings in the city ... since my normal routine in new cities is to walk around the city centre looking at buildings.  There is usually a mixture of old and new buildings, some of which are invariably of interest ... since I work on building facades, I can see most of the things of interest from the street anyway.

I have some shots of interesting old buildings in the town centre, so that is definitely worth a visit.  Down toward the river, from memory, is where the interesting stuff is.  I was there on a Sunday, I think, so nothing much was open .  But if you are there on a weekday, I suspect there will be more to see in the way of museums and other things.

If you are into new buildings, the Commerzbank building is interesting - Norman Foster architect, Ove Arup & Partners engineers (I'm not biased, much).  An attempt to build a green highrise building, so sky lobbies and gardens and semi-natural ventilation.  Doubt you can get to see much, but it's there.

Don't stay at the airport!

Cheers

david

david west