BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:19:51 -0500
The winner of the Longitude prize was British: John Harrison.

The book you may be referring to:

_Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest
Scientific Problem of His Time._ by Dava Sobel

A great story of intrigue describing the competition between this
mechanic and the astronomers.

He actually took the big clock on a ship for testing, and through 5
prototypes developed the accurate pocket watch. The clocks are still
extant. It's amazing.

D.

“E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina  Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized City or Law Enforcement official.”