BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:51:04 -0500
Interesting topic. I agree with a lot of what has been posted, but not all.
Qualifying remark: We don't make paint for wood.

AGREE:
Prep is critical. I like the brick portion of my house a lot more than the
wood, and have banged heads with painters who won't do prep my way: Sanding.
Aggressively. Get down into the wood, especially any bare areas. Reason:
Ultraviolet light degrades wexposed wood fibers in as little as 6 weeks and
then nothing will stick to it for long, no matter how good the primer and
paint system. You have to sand deeper than the zone of UV penetration.

DISAGREE:
Paint is not just paint. As formulators we understand that there are lots of
choices we can make, each of which affects cost and performance. A typical
latex paint may have a dozen to 20 ingredients, so this is not a question of
just one ingredient, although acrylic latex is the single most costly
ingredient. If you are making ten million gallons of paint every year and
can save 38 cents a gallon on material costs, thats a lot of money, and that
drives the large paint manufacturers. Some of us have the luxury of being
able to formulate without cost compromises, but will never see those kinds
of volumes (or anything close to it).

With regard to brand, there may be more to say in regard to quality than to
brand name. A cheap product from one manufacturer probably won't be that
much better or worse than someone else's equivalent cheap line, but in most
cases, cheap paint is a bad buy. I would buy the best quality every time. I
do not underestimate paint company salesmanship, however, and would advise
being a good and skeptical consumer no matter what the name on the label or
the price on the tag.

A REALLY good latex paint could be made to sell for somewhere in the $30 to
$40 range, and you might double that if you were going to market it
aggressively. How long could it last? Ten years minimum, probably even 20
years would not be out of line, and I would agree with the comment that it
should slowly wear and soil, not suddenly peel, embrittle or discolor.

One problem with cheap latex is the use of plasticizers to impart some
flexibility. Eventually they wash out and the paint becomes brittle. A high
quality acrylic latex with flexibility built into its polymer structure will
never embrittle. I have seen 15-year-old paint films that are just as
flexible as they were 6 months after installation.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President
3 Northwest Drive