BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Afghanistan of the preservation movement.
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 10:08:39 EST
In a message dated 12/5/2001 9:39:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Every other program in the country has its own unique characteristics. If
you
>  do decide to focus strictly on the hp programs, I firmly recommend
>  interviewing at each program and talking to the current students.

Maybe not a current student, but I can give a little insight into Columbia
University's HP program, housed in the Graduate School of Architecture,
Planning, and Preservation. In the past, former director Robt. A.M. Stern
described it as "preservation boot camp." Although perhaps somewhat more
relaxed under its new leadership, it is still an intensive,
multi-disciplinary program -- an approach that I really appreciated. It
recently publicized its new preservation design studio, specifically aimed at
architects and engineers and focused on adaptive use strategies and designing
within a historic context, which would meet a real need.

Come to NYC and check it out!

Mary Krugman
CU-GSAPP '95
Mary Delaney Krugman Associates, Inc.