BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Candice Brashears <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:24:49 EST
Mary,
I completely agree with your concerns about historic preservation and heritage
tourism.  In my town, where a very active preservation organization is gaining
some serious momentum (all volunteers) - heritage tourism is suddenly cropping
up in far too many board meetings as the means of showing off four museum
properties that are slated for complete restoration.  Now, mind you, these
sites are not yet museums and they are all in deplorable condition - and in
need of at least $4 million. It is hoped that state tourism money and Tea21
may be tapped.  The point is: This is a relatively small town (approx. 40,000
pop) and is by no means an urban center - a fairly typical 19th c. Main Street
- with lots of residential.
The enthusiasm of some of the controlling members of the preservation group is
taking shape as:  Visitors Center - Tour Trolley - and basically turning this
little town (2 of the "to be" museums are on Main Street) into - to use the
words of one:
"a mecca;  a destination for thousands of tourists that will shop, eat and
stay.."

I'm not particularly certain I want this to happen - at least not the scope
envisioned by the zealots.  For exactly what you experienced...a "non-
experience" of the historic streetscape you hoped to enjoy.  Where does one
draw the line between preserving the character and historic qualities of a
town center and sharing that past with others?  How do we educate our young
(and old) of our cultural heritage through preservation and then create a
sidewalk population that is a lie?  Trolleys, buses, foot traffic - will all
take a toll on the residential houses; (only 3 blocks from the center) Shake-
Rattle & Rolling their foundations - kicking up the dust.
Will an "overactive" center and even more traffic on the road cause the
homeowner to quit living on Main St. and head for the hills?

Yes, Mary, I can see your concern.  I realize that our little town center may
never become the tourist "mecca" some would like to see;  I agree that the
economic benefits can be a real plus - even if the center becomes only a
"quarter-mecca".  I am concerned.

How do we teach our cultural heritage through preservation of living cities
and limit how many people may come and experience it?  The throngs of bodies
in St. Augustine and Savannah all wanted a chance to - so did you.  How is it
done without turning our landscape into lots of Colonial Williamsburgs and
Sturbridge Villages?

I have no answers.

Candy B