BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Sat, 29 May 1999 08:12:32 -0400
I recently went to a talk by Joe Lstiburek of Building Science Corporation
of Massachusetts.  He is an expert in moisture control and is not a fan of
either Tyvek or EIFS in their most commonly applied uses.  His two adages
are simply 1)  "If you can't control rain, nothing else matters."  and 2)
"Drain the rain on the plain"  (or to be verbose:  make sure you have a
continuos vertical to horizontal drainage plain).  His first assumption is:
"All windows leak, all walls leak."
    Interestingly, most of the problems we looked at in his case studies of
EIFS were in buildings less than a year old and in warmer climates.
Typically the problem was caused by two design and construction flaws:  a)
leaky or incorrectly spec'd cooling duct work caused cooling of walls where
it was not intended and b) (following manufacturer's recommendations)
fiberglass insulation was installed with its facing to the inside of the
structure, additionally vynil wall paper was installed over interior sheet
rock:  thus creating a vapor barrier on both sides of the wall, hence an
assembly which can neither dry to the inside or outside.
    His best remedies for buildings is to create predictable and
controllable pressure systems in the structure so that a building either
"sucks" or "blows": northerners "suck" and dry to the outside and
southerners "blow" dry to the inside.  Being a Canadian he did allow that in
Washington D.C. buildings can "suck" and "blow".  This explains the
geographic choice for our capital.
Best,
Leland