BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "It's a bit disgusting, but a great experience...." -- Squirrel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:23:48 -0400

OK, I'm going to pout in public.  Rory Hays, another NAPC (National Alliance
of Preservation Commissions) board member and I submitted a proposal for a
session that would have addressed this very thing, but it was not accepted.
I confess my disappointment, because all the
inventory/materials/stylistic/technical knowledge in the world won't do us
any good if the general public keeps looking at us with an incredulous eye
while tearing down these dated sorry reminders of their dysfunctional
childhoods.

On the other hand, as salve to my wounds, the upcoming issue of _Forum
Journal_ (a theme issue that focuses on the recent past), will include an
article that Claudia Brown, head of NC's Survey and Planning Branch of the
state preservation office, and I collaborated on that describes Raleigh's
most excellent resources, how we came to have them, our local commissions'
efforts in their survey and designation, our successes and failures, and the
lessons we learned about the public's tolerance for this kind of nonsense.
Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.      Much like the Lorax who speaks
Raleigh Historic                    for the trees
Districts Commission          I speak for the buildings and
[log in to unmask]                 even for Mies...
            DISCLAIMER:     ...But my views may not be
                                            RHDC's