BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:58:32 EST
In a message dated 2/23/99 12:54:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> part of the problem here in North
>  America is that in many cases our heritage districts are fragile creatures,
>  limited in depth and breadth, artificially created and sustained, not a
part
>  of the traditional economic mainstream. The irony is that, as an economic
>  and cultural entity, they are brand new.

Interesting thought, the old being "new." Maybe that's why Americans are
struggling with this!

Americans seem to think better in formal constructs. Heritage tourism strikes
me as something akin to transforming sandlot baseball to Little League --
we've got to CALL it something (and give it nifty uniforms) in order to make
it official -- "I know, let's call it "heritage tourism [and add some ice
cream shops]!!"

Bruce, your point about the European history in context -- wars, famines,
revolutions, etc. -- is a great one.  They've seen it all!  No wonder they are
blase about crowds in the piazza. Its a great improvement over Savanorola.

Mary (only played sandlot) Krugman