From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:50:55 -0500
This is a follow-up to my messages several weeks ago.  While visiting my
brother, W6PR, in San Diego, we went to HRO and looked at the 480 and the
FT950.  I had about made up my mind already to buy the 950.  I did.  It
should arrive here in a few more days.

Without a computer connected at times, it is going to be slow going.  But
Paul and I did a recorded front panel description (sort of) and we then
tried some things.

One important point:  the radio produces a beep whenever a button is pushed,
but only if the command can be accepted in the current state.  There are two
different Clear buttons, which clear different parts of the interface.  We
really messed up SSB reception on 20 meters and had it in a mode where it
would squelch itself off two seconds after switching the receiver to AM
mode.  There are enough buttons and controls to keep me going for a long
time.  Hopefully, when I have it figured out, the rig will do what I want.
Ham Radio Deluxe has a demonstration mode for the FT2000, and although the
screen is very crowded with information, Window-'Eyes can read the displays.
There is a review of the FT950 in the March QST, but it should be consulted
in light of their previous reviews of the 9000, 2000, 2000D and 450.  At
least I'm moving my ham station into the 21st century!

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls