From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 15:23:29 -0700
a few things:
you'll have to get the batteries america battery that has the charging
contacts on the outside of the battery pack...and the drop in charger from
batteries america as well.
I can't remember if you are in canada, but if you are, batteries america
doesn't ship here yet to my knoledge.
The TH F6A will recharge the battery from the supplied wallwart in 6.5
hours...so it's not as bad as some HT's that take more than a day to
recharge the stock battery.
You can also use a 13.8VDC power supply to both charge the battery and tx on
the HT while it's charging...I don't think you can do this with the
wallwart...at least you can't transmit using the wallwart alone.
I have to look in the manual, but the radio might allow you to tx while
using the wallwart charger by switching to the battery while transmitting
and back to charging when receiving.
But, more than likely not.

Also, there is a  key chart, manual and menu list in text format on

HTTP://www.icanworkthisthing.com

that are very comprehensive.

You might check ebay for after market batteries and drop in chargers made in
china that will be far cheaper and will ship to canada at a very low
shipping rate.
If all else fails, it would likely be cheaper for you to pickup a small say
2 or 3 amp 13.8V power supply and just run the radio off that as well as
using it for a battery charger.
I think the source or radio shack have these for around $30.
Pickup a DC cable for the HT, or chop the cable off the supplied wallwart
for this purpose.
As butch said, the f6a isn't a battery hog and the stock battery will last
quite a good length of time before it needs to be recharged.
Also, consider picking up an after market antenna for the f6.  The stock
duck isn't great, though adequit on all 3 bands.
There have been allot of great reviews on the Diamond SRH-320A.  It
increases tx range and is a far better receiving antenna than the stock
duck.  It's around 50 bucks, 42 from universal radio.
there is also the Maldol MH610 for the f6 and a comit as well...but from all
i've read, the diamond out performs both of those on all three F6 bands.

Enjoy your new rig when it comes.  You'll love it.
If you need any help getting to know the radio without slogging through the
manual throw me an email...i'm on skype as well if that works.

73
Colin, V A6BKX