From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2009 12:52:26 -0400
Of course you can't drive them anywhere yet, it's called a "prototype"
for a reason. One has to start somewhere, and this would be the
beginning of the project. I'm not sure why you would expect a blind
drivable car to spring, like Athena from Zeus's, head, fully formed
and usable right now anyway, and, moreover, why the NFB has to be "off
its rocker" because it's actually gotten a team of university
researchers to tackle a problem and develop a working prototype.
Progress has to begin somewhere, and no large development just
happens. If you would like to not encourage such progress, or not
encourage anyone to make an attempt at doing anything progressive,
that's fine, and I reckon you're entitled. I, for one, find the
prospect very exciting and am watching these developments with much
interest.