From:
Fitzgerald-pisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 23:09:24 -0500
Here's a computer trick that's really ingenious in
its simplicity. As you may know, when/if a worm
virus gets into your computer it heads straight for
your email address book and sends itself to
everyone in there, thus infecting all your friends
and associates. This trick won't keep the virus
from getting into your computer, but it will stop it
from using your address book to spread further,
and it will alert you to the fact that the worm has
gotten into your system.

Here's what you do

1) first, open your address book and click on
"new contact" just as you would do if you were
adding a new friend to your list of email addresses.

2) In the window where you would type your
 friend's first name, type in !000 (that's an
exclamation mark followed by 3 zeros).

3) In the window below where it prompts you to
enter the new email address, type in WormAlert.

4) Complete everything by clicking add, enter, ok, etc.

Now, here's what you've done and why it works:
 the "name" !000 will be placed at the top of your
address book as entry #1. This will be where
the worm will start in an effort to send itself to all
your friends.
But when it tries to send itself to !000, it will be undeliverable
because of the phony email address
you entered (WormAlert). If the first attempt
fails (which it will because of the phony address),
the worm goes no further and your friends will
not be infected.

Here's the *** second great advantage *** of
this method: if an email cannot be delivered, you
will be notified of this in your InBox almost
immediately.  Hence, if you ever get an email
telling you that an email addressed to
WormAlert could not be delivered, you know
right away that you have the worm virus in
your system. You can then take steps to
get rid of it!

Pretty slick.
(I sent my cc to my [Modified] Worm Stomper
- works fine!)

I thought this might be of interest to everyone, just in case.
Willie