From:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2007 09:27:05 +0100
Hi Steve:

You have already heard replies regarding tuning valve amps.
It is many years since I used one of these, but did so very successfully
with a long forgotten piece of assistance equipment, the Carl Conway tuning
aid - some may recall it?

For the last many years I have used firstly the Yaesu FL7000 which had an
external switch to select any of four antennas (one was permanently a dummy
load).

For the last 10 years I have used the VL1000 (Yaesu Quadra) which also
covers 6M.

It has 2 inputs for exciters, and 4 antenna ports.
It has an internal ATU which is about as tolerant as that on the modern
transceivers and, as with them, it has memories.

In conjunction with Yaesu rigs, it changes band with the exciter.
With other rigs, it only takes a squirt of RF which it auto senses and
switches to that band.

You will have probably gathered that I think it is a superb piece of kit.

The one draw back is that it is large, and in two sections, power supply and
amplifier.

73

David

Checked by AVG Free Edition.