From:
Tom Karnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:49:11 -0700
Your mention of 7 digits implies you are looking for the city of a prefix,
not an area code. I have no trouble getting info about where an area code
is from 411 operators, and was recently referred to 411 by a long distance
operator. The worst area code for scams is 809. Don't ever dial 809 unless
you are sure whom you are calling. Blind people are eligible for free long
distance information by dialing the area code and 555-1212. In California,
however, one must have ATT as a long distance carrier, not the best choice
for low cost long distance. I have GTC on my primary line and ATT on my
fax line, so have the best of both worlds. The fax line is also my
internet line, so never ties up the incoming phone access. With free long
distance info, you could, of course, just dial area code plus 555-1212 and
ask for the area covered.

Tom Karnes
Oceanside, California