From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:52:02 -0500
Gery,

You shouldn't need a tuner on this antenna to get it  to work on 20 meters,
or almost anywhere else for that matter.  If you have a high swr on 20
meters without the tuner,  some of your power is getting  lost in the coax.
If you have no radial system, most of  what is getting to the antenna is
disappearing as ground losses.

Be sure you have the 20 meter matching line of 75 ohm coax installed, or
things will never work right on 20 meters.   If your antenna is ground
mounted, length of the radial wires isn't critical.  4 or 6 at 25 to 30 feet
long is a good start and will be a thousand times better then nothing.

There is 1 simple adjustment to bring 20  meter resonance into line, but
first you need to have the matching line and some radials  going.  Then
measure the swr without the tuner at the top and bottom of the band to
determine  how the coil tap needs to be changed.
   Once again, if you need a tuner to get a low swr on 20, something is way
out of whack.

73, Steve KW3A