From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:50:34 -0400
Well, I just switched to it Friday, and with the NTS nets I've been on and
the general band surfing I've done, I like the Ultralite better than the
G5RV. I need to do something with the extra ladder line, mine came with 100
feet I guess they come with 81 feet now because they found that makes some
internal tuners happier and I think if I trim mine back I'll fix the problem
of having a bunch of ladder line bunched up out there, but seriously, I'm
very happy with the antenna so far. In short, each leg is 3 wire ribbon
cable, one wire connects to the latter line, comes out to the end insulator
where that wire connects to the next, goes back to the center and the third
one is connected there so while it's 140 feet long, you actually have 3
times that in wire with the senior model which I have, junior I think is
half that. It looks very easy to make and it's real light, and blows my g5rv
away on 75 meters I can say that for sure. It's not bad on the other bands
either but I notice there especially the huge improvement, it's a little
long for 10 and 12 like the g5rv but I honestly think it works better there
than the g5rv did too though I didn't use it there that much. So far, I'm
happy with it, I know there are a small number of hams not happy with it but
based on how many I know personally who like it, and how I like it, I'm
thinking it's mostly error on their part.