From:
Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 16:20:16 -0800
You're right re the "AA5" radios.  I have several Zenith TransOceanics
here and the manuals say they'll work on either 120VAC or 120VDC when
not on their internal battery pack.  The instructions are common sense:
plug the radio in and turn it on; if it doesn't work, reverse the plug
and it will play.

An electrician from Salt Lake once told me that there were a few
isolated neighborhoods in new York City that were still running DC
(dunno the voltage but think it was 110V) into the 1970's and that Sears
still made washers with DC motors for that market and that New York City
still had a market back then for 110VDC/110VAC inverters to allow those
homes to use AC appliances.  Dunno whether he was blowing smoke or not.
But the RCA TV-radio that came out in the late '60's would work on
either 120VAC or 120VDC.  AFB sold it so this might lend credence to
what my electrician friend said.

Back in 1964, I heard a Brazilian on 20-meter CW who sounded like he was
running 25Hz AC and another Brazilian who was running a rotary spark gap
(the rough tone was 100Hz); he was only 10kHz wide which is monstrous by
today's standards but miraculous using a spark transmitter.  He must
have had one heck of an L/C network!

Anyone ever heard a Poulsen Arc transmitter?  Aside from Fessenden's
alternator, this arc transmitter was used to generate continuous waves
(sufficiently continuous for phone tranmissions).

Wouldn't it be cool if there were a side on the Net with sound files of
spark transmitters, Pulsen arc transmitters and Alexanderson Alternator
transmitters (though these last wouldn't sound any different than a
transmitter today; they ran at about 50kHz).

Mike Freeman < K 7 U I J >