From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 21:18:27 -0700
Barbara,

I in no way meant to be snippy by what I said.  I mean, I've had plenty of
my share of viruses over the last 18 years.  When I ran a bulletin board
with a pair of 80 megabyte old Seagate monsterous hard drives that nearly
weighed a ton each, I got a virus that turned my computer into a pop corn
popper and literally trashed, I mean, destroyed one of those two hard
drives.  My full sized tower case literally vibrated around like we were
having an earthquake or something.  I have lived by a rule for many years
now and that is, never open any attachment even if your own mother emails it
to you.  The only time I open anything is when I have gotten it from a
friend whom I already know is using as good of virus protection software as
I personally use and also knows how to get, and not to get, viruses in the
first place.  Bootleg overlay websites, and links to websites, and here,
clik on this URL for the latest information, are the best ways in the world
to get a virus to begin with.  When I think such reports are valid, I don't
give the url to clik on but I go to snopes, or wherever, confirm the
information by searching for it myself, then tell the reader to do the same.
I just got a virus a month ago by clicking on a link from someone using an
auto responder to let me know I was on their spam filter list and if I
clicked here, and filled out who I really was, I would be automatically
removed from the spam filter.  Famous last words.  I didn't know who the
person was but because I own the list, I had to click on it, I figured, to
find out who the heck it was.  You guessed it.  Their name wasn't even on
the website spam filter I clicked on and wham, my whole computer slowed down
until I finally figured out I might have a virus and ran AVG manually to
find the Trojan horse.  I know for a personal fact, and from personal
experience, that a anti virus software companies will allow a file that
registers as a virus when you scan for it just to get you to update your, so
called, free version of the software which now costs 29.95 or there abouts.
I also never ever, no matter which relative sent it to me, open any email
greeting, get well, or kiss my foot e card.  Shoot, I'm so paranoid these
days, I have a hard time generating enough courage to log on to my own
websites.  It's a jungle out there.  Give me DOS any day.

Phil.
K0NX