From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:06:29 -0400
Hi Kevin.

Our Field Day was great.  I am the president of a fairly small club, and a
bunch of us went out and pitched a tent and set up a couple of stations
with generators and had a ball.

It's unfortunate that some people are so narrow minded.  I have been very
visible in the ham community here for a long time (nearly 25 years) and I
think most people are pretty used to me by now.  My biggest frustration is
not with being able to operate with my fellow hams on various events, but
rather with transportation which seems to be the inevitable barrier.

Even for Field Day this is an issue as someone had to drive an extra 10
miles each way to pick me up and drop me off.  That is a pain, but I
suppose it can't be avoided.

Anyway, ours is a young club, and as such, I suppose I would be regarded as
a senior member, having been with the club since its beginning.

Our club is pretty laid back.  We aren't about being first in our section,
but are more about giving anyone who wants it a chance to operate and learn
about the skills that go into successful communications.  We dare to have
fun and goof around a bit too.  I think that's the way it should be.

Glad to hear that this year's experience was better.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 10:43 PM 6/29/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I hope all of you had a great field day weekend.  What a difference here.
>You all may remember last year that I had a horrible experience with our
>local club and the guy who was in charge of the event.  Basically, he did
>not feel a blind person was capable of much and despite my early interest,
>really had no place for me to work last year.  Later that summer I
>participated with some other friends in the club in an IOTA event where I
>was able to demonstrate my operating capabilities.
>
>Earlier this year, following a great deal of upheaval in that same club over
>money and some questionable practices by some members, I left the club along
>with many of those friends from last summer.  We formed a new club called
>the Northwest Society of Amateur Radio.  I made the mistake of missing a
>meeting and got elected president.  <GRIN>
>
>We just finished our field day event today and I had a great time.  I did
>the majority of the cw operation and despite lousy band conditions had a
>great time.  It was really nice to be appreciated for your operating skill
>and not discriminated against by some ignorant slob.  <GRIN>  I hope all on
>the list had good experiences also.
>
>You all take care and very 73.
>
>Kevin, K7RX :)

Louis Kim Kline