From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2014 16:23:30 -0700
Matt,

Denver has a very poor record of the elimination of line noise.  The first
thing they tell you is that if it turns out to be someone else, even from a
store such as a gas station, or personal residence, they can't do anything
about it.  I have a steady S9, and some times a steady S9 plus 10 DB noise,
on 75 meters.  All other bands are normal 0 to 4 DB but if the wind is
blowing, it doubles so you know it is the utility company but they are very
hard to work with.  For years, they even had a ham working for them who came
out with all his special radios and directional antennas.  I had met him
years earlier and he was in his retirement years so he didn't care if a
fellow ham had noise or not.  He couldn't find any noise even when I showed
him my findings from having directional beams I could rotate and give him an
idea which direction to start with.  Years ago, in 78 and 79, I lived in a
small town of 80 people in western Colorado.  I lived in a new subdivision
they were building due to the 5 coal mines that were running full blast
around the clock.  They put every wire, including phone cables, under
ground.  I have a 40 foot telescoping mast and had my 80 meter inverted vee
at the top and my 40 meter inverted Vee at 30 feet.  They were broadside to
the east.  If you looked out my front window, there was nothing in the way
for 20 miles to the nearest mountains.  The back yard was flat for miles and
miles.  I had absolutely zero noise on all bands.  I worked 160 countries on
40, and over 100 on 80, in 18 months.  When I moved back to Denver, I lived
on a highway heading up to the mountains that crossed the width of Denver.
The street was called 6th Avenue.  I had noise but not enough to bother me.
I worked another 38 countries in 4 years at that house and a few more on 40.
Now I live on a busy street that crosses Denver north and south and the
noise is the worst I've ever had since I've been a ham.  If I took my 18
year old grandson with me outdoors with a portable A M radio, I bet we could
find the noise quicker than the city would.  A friend in western Colorado
finally called the FCC because he had 20 over S9 line noise in a small town
and the rural electric company wouldn't even try to fix it.  The rural power
company then decided they best be coming out to fix his noise problems.  Now
he has zero line noise on 80.  I've lived in this house 31 years and the
noise is worse than it has ever been in this neighborhood.

Phil.
K0NX