From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:08:06 -0400
Bob,

I've had my TM-V71A since last June, and I think it's the most manageable
radio I've ever owned.  The key to its manageability is that it gives you
feedback (either voice or high/low beeps) for just about every setting.  I
spent the first couple of days just playing with the radio, pushing buttons
and exploring menus without even opening the manual.  I didn't even have a
cheat sheet for the controls, but I didn't need one because I knew what each
control did by the way the radio behaved, or by the speech feedback.  In
those rare instances where feedback wasn't available, such as changing the
power-up message, I used the software to make the changes.  There were a
couple of settings that could only be changed through the software, one of
which was the microphone sensitivity, which I set to its highest level so I
wouldn't have to shout to be heard at full modulation.  Perhaps I wouldn't
have changed this if I were operating mobile, but I use the radio
exclusively as a base station, so I wanted a more comfortable setting.  The
other setting I would have had to change through the software was the
power-up password, but I don't even use that function, so I didn't even try.
One other setting that I could not have changed through the menus was the CW
message for cross-band repeat.  I entered my call through the software, and
then decided not to use the CW ID during cross-band repeat because it
sometimes transmitted over the QSO and prevented me from hearing other
stations when it did.

Without good feedback from the voice chip, this radio would have been nearly
impossible to learn.  With the feedback, however, the learning curve was
reduced from daunting to an interesting and enjoyable challenge.
Incidentally, I eventually had to consult the manual, but only because I was
interested in some of the more complex functions of the radio, like remote
control via DTMF tones, for which I needed a detailed explanation.  Even if
you never get beyond the radio's basic functions, I think you'll find
yourself doing more with this radio than you ever thought you could or
would.

Steve