From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2012 07:29:27 -0400
It will depend on whether those final amplifier tubes are running in Class
AB1, AB2, or B.  This depends on the idling plate current vs. the key-down
plate current.  Higher efficiency (lower idling current, operating the tubes
closer to cut-off) increases the distortion of your signal, which is
unimportant for CW but quite important for SSB.  I would guess that you are
talking 50 percent efficiency (ratio of power output to power input).  Not
all of the enpower is lost in the tubes, though.  A little of it is also
lost in the pi network output circuit.  I would probably adjust the plate
tuning and loading controls for maximum power output and leave it at that.
I assume you're not trying to run this station remotely.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls